Join us as a Partner in the Mission

Since 1926, St Paul’s High School has constantly evolved to meet the needs of its students and families both for current, and where possible, for future generations while honouring its alumni and traditions.  As times change and cultural norms become expectations, so must the school change if it is to continue to capture the imagination of middle school boys and provide for them a Jesuit education.  It is, therefore, not only our goal but also our responsibility to respond directly to those changes in a discerned and reflective way.

In order to guide the current administration and all who follow, a Strategic Plan was created to respond to immediate or overdue needs and to anticipate major adjustments needed in the future, as seen by the local trends and confirmed by the 60 other Jesuit schools which, along with St Paul’s, form a network of Jesuit secondary schools.  The Strategic Plan, developed by consulting all our major constituents over a three year period, 2004-2007, identified eight major objectives for the School, which include:  the building of the Bursary Fund, a multi-purpose facility and a centre for the performing arts.   Tremendous progress has been made on addressing the majority of the objectives and it is now time to tackle the first two major capital objectives – the significant expansion of the Bursary Endowment Fund and the addition of a multi-purpose facility to the School. 

To meet those needs, we are launching the Partners in the Mission Capital Campaign.  The goal of the Campaign is to virtually double the principal of the bursary investment fund and to fund the construction of a multi-purpose facility that will meet the demands of our sports and health education programs, greatly improve on academic space and facilitate activities ranging from gym class to convocation, band concerts, tournaments and other large events.  The following outlines, in a clear and concise way, the importance of the Bursary Fund and the plans for the proposed multi-purpose facility.  It demonstrates our careful planning of the largest project and most significant updating of the School since the expansion and creation of the Angus Reid Arts and Multi-media Centre and how the many stakeholders of this Capital Campaign will benefit through responsible planning.

The impact of the Campaign will be seen for generations to come, be it through sustaining and expanding the accessibility of the School to the entire Winnipeg community, the significant enhancement of the School’s educational programs or the many community activities that will take place in the facility—its scope is indeed comprehensive. 

We invite you to make a lasting impression on the future of St Paul’s High School and to truly become a Partner in the Mission. 

Crusader Bleacher Seat Sale >

261_photo

A Brief History of St Paul’s

Since 1926, St Paul’s High School has had three addresses and at its current location has undergone three major capital expansions and renovations.  In 1926, St Paul’s College High School opens on Selkirk Avenue and in 1931 makes it first move to the corner of Ellice and Vaughan with a 1932 expansion with Paul Shea Hall that doubles the school’s capacity.  At this time the Society of Jesus assumes ownership.  The year 1957 sees the college establish a Catholic presence at the University of Manitoba and soon after, in 1963, St Paul’s High School opens at 2200 Grant Avenue, its current location.  As time passes more academic space is required and is satisfied with the Jesuits handing over their residence, the Monaghan Wing, to renovate for new classrooms, computer and band facilities.  The next substantial improvement to the school was with the Paths of Discovery Campaign the focus of which is new science and computer labs and the Fr Holland SJ Learning Centre.  The Jesuit Legacy Capital Campaign of 1999 sees the first new addition to the 1963 building which includes new regular classes, art and band rooms, a multimedia lab, a new cafeteria and Crusader Football locker room.  The summer of 2007 sees the beginning of the most recent renovation project that includes a completely new roof for the Monaghan Wing and the Gym followed by the removal of asbestos ceilings across the front of the school’s office areas and finally the remainder of the ceilings also receiving new panels and lighting.  Final touches were put on the inside of the school with all the halls and classrooms being given a fresh coat of paint.

275_photo

A Vision of Tomorrow, Today

The goal of any learning institution is to provide its people with what is true as well as what is current.  The Jesuit term for continually improving upon discerned choices is magis—a Latin term literally meaning “the more.”  Each of the major projects taken on by St Paul’s in the past has moved those attending and staffing the school by responding to a read of the signs of the times.  Building on the successes of those who went before us, St Paul’s embarked on a three year discernment process of School Improvement and Strategic Planning beginning in 2004.  Outlined in the Plan are eight objectives one of which resolves the current and future needs of our students in terms of a multi-plex facility.  To this end, a capital campaign is recommended.

A universal focus of the Jesuits is a preferential option for the poor through social justice in a faith context.  For St Paul’s to be accessible to even more students whose family is struggling financially, the Jesuit Provincial Superior has asked that we direct 60% of total funds raised to the multi-plex and the remaining 40% to the Bursary Fund.  We have accepted the Provincial’s challenge and have given the Partners in the Mission Capital Campaign a dual focus.

St Paul’s has grown in numbers and has become highly competitive in athletics and academics and is over capacity in its current physical plant.  In fact, we are hard-pressed to overstate the inadequacy of our current facilities most of which met our needs 50 years ago.  We envision a complex that defines new standards of excellence in performance, technology and is environmentally conscientious.

281_photo

The Bursary Program

Bursary Funds are an essential aspect of a Jesuit education at St Paul’s High School ensuring accessibility for all qualified applicants. The Bursary Fund is comprised of all donations to any bursary, both named and unnamed, the funds of which are invested annually in keeping with the St Paul’s High School Investment Policy.

Today, the cost of educating one student at St Paul’s is approximately $12,800. This amount comes from three main sources: tuition ($6,170), government funding and endowment funds in support of the Bursary Program.  In the current school year, 79 students, 14% of the student body, received financial aid totaling $272,520, an average gift of $3,450.

In order to keep pace with current and future needs, St Paul’s must have a growing Bursary Fund. The current endowment level sits at approximately $4.2 million. In order for us to meet the annual tuition assistance requests of our families, an additional $4 million is required.



make_a_gift
276_photo

Addressing the Needs

  • Four multi-use classrooms
  • Alumni Lounge
  • Fully convertable basketball and volleyball courts
  • Music concert capacity
  • Improved parking for staff, students and visitors
  • Storage area
  • Fitness Centre with both weights and cardio
  • Retractable stands with seating for up to 900
  • Separate entrance—self-contained for facility users
  • Athletic therapy centre proximal to the training area
  • Wheel chair accessibility
  • Tunnel connecting current and new building
  • Portable staging capacity
  • Independent guest washrooms
  • Crusader locker rooms
  • Phys-Ed Head and Athletic Director Offices
  • Male & female staff changerooms

Board of Directors

Fr. Len Altilia, S.J. (President, St. Paul's High School)
David Filmon '84 (Board Chair)
Fr. Michel Boutilier, S.J.
Pamela Clarke
Juanita DeSouza-Huletey
Joe Fiorentino ’81
Michael Guertin ’76
Darla Hooker
Glenn Joyal ’78
Andre Kriening
Jeff Laping ’89
Bob Lewin
Mike Linton
Laura Lomow
Peter Miller
John Ostermann
Richard Pelda ’69
Calvin Polet ’93
Fr. Robert Polz ’80
Rick Potter
Margaret Proven
Todd Toutant
Craig White ’00

Capital Campaign Fundraising Committee

Rev Alan Fogarty SJ, President
Tony Catanese ’79, Co-Chair
Paul Soubry ’80, Co-Chair
Shawn Alwis ’00
Jeff Baigrie ’81
Shawn Bergen ’88
Pierre Campeau ’79
Tim Chimuk
Gerald Diamond ’83
Rick Duha ’78
Keith Ferbers ’80
David Filmon ’84
Joe Fiorentino ’81
Michael Goytan
Michael Guertin ’76
Michael Johnson ’83
Tina Jones
Jim Ludlow ’78
Paul Mahon ’81
Lee Meagher
E Wells Peever
Calvin Polet ’93
Jeff Rabb
Richard Swystun ’76
John Yunyk ’03
John Zadro

Tribute Dinner Honouree Advisory Committee (Ex-Officio)

Paul Albrechtsen
Richard Bracken
Robert Chipman ’44
Gary Doer ’66
Gary Filmon and Janice Filmon
Gregg Hanson ’69
Kevin Kavanagh and Els Kavanagh
Hubert Kleysen
Peter MacDonald ’76
Arthur Mauro
Michael Phelps ’63
Robert Puchniak ’65
Angus Reid ’65
Joe Stangl
Emőke Szathmáry
James Tennant ’66

Ad Hoc Building Committee

Rev Alan Fogarty SJ, President
Roy Cook, Chair
David Goyer
Michael Guertin ’76
Rob Merello ’89
Tom Lussier
John Ostermann
Richard Pelda ’69
Murray Wilson

This is a question?